Jul 11, 2009

New Medical Diagnosis

Apparently, I have rheumatoid arthritis.  I had terrible pain, joint swelling, fever of 101 back in April/May.  I could barely walk and had to be assisted to the bathroom.  My surgeon was jumpy because of all  my prior problems post-op and promptly admitted me when my mother called him.

I was referred to a rhematologist by my surgeon and the rheumy gave me medrol (a steroid) IV.  It was like magic.  The swelling went down and boom, I was fixed.  It took this long to see him at his office.  He said I had RA (verified by bloodwork too) and said if I didn't take RA meds for treatment, there was an 85% chance for joint damage with severe disability in the future.

Well, dang.  Then I looked over at the RA meds and checked my insurance.  The ones on TV, the biologics (Humira, Orencia, Embrel) are incredibly expensive...as in around $1500 a month.  They don't come in pill format and must be injected.  My insurance would only pay 70% of these types of drugs.  Remicade you get IV in the hospital every couple of months and it costs $1200-$1800 a pop.  I can't afford several hundred dollars a month for one med.  The biologics zap your immune system, leaving you open for infections and at higher risk for lymphoma.  Just dandy.

Then there's the DMARDS such as methotrexate and arava, nasty drugs too, but my insurance pays for most of these.  Lots of side effects.

In the meantime there are NSAIDS and corticosteroids.  I was on prednisone a month or so ago and it dampened my looming flareup right down.


The rheumy told me to take 1600 mg of ibuprofen a day without fail.  Prednisone is hell on the tummy too.  Even with 20mg of Prilosec twice a day, what is that going to do to my poor stomach?

Ah, hell.  I think the RA was triggered either by the trauma of surgery or some med I had during my extensive hospitalization.

Menopause was also triggered.  My last period was the month before my surgery in January and it's July now.  With everything else going on, I'm not noticing any menopausal grief such as hot flashes or mood swings.  I guess being period-free is good for my tendency to low iron.

And sob!  My hair is coming out by the handfuls for the past couple of months.  I have male pattern baldness like all the men in my family!   It's too hot outside to contemplate a wig, a weave or even a headwrap.  At least my receding hairline is cool.

I suppose this is enough moaning for now.  On the bright side, I lost another pound, 71 pounds total.  Just got labs drawn, I'll call Monday for the results.  My tube has been pulled too and that's much better.  My diabetes is resolved, my sleep apnea gone and my high blood pressure much better.

0 comments: