Sep 11, 2009

The Diet Dilemma

A member of the duodenalswitch list at yahoogroups.com wrote something I related to deeply. She did not give permission to reproduce it verbatim on my blog when I asked, so I'll just say she was exactly my weight (285) when she had her surgery and she only lost 45 pounds and stopped. She had to diet to lose additional weight, losing 120 pounds and stabilizing at around 90-100 pounds lost.

I'm a little luckier, despite being on tube feedings for months after my surgery...I stopped at a 70 pound weight loss. It's been several months and my weight has stabilized at 213 (nekkid and hungry) 215 (clothed and fed), neither losing or gaining.

It's a fact that some DSers lose only a certain amount and stop short of their goal. I'm apparently one of them.

The seventy pound weight loss is a blessing though. Most of my obesity related maladies are gone. I look somewhat normal now, although I wish I were thinner. I'd be happy to lose down to 185, 100 pounds down from my surgery weight. I need to lose thirty more pounds to reach that goal.

Hell, if I could diet successfully, I wouldn't have needed the DS! But, maybe now I can. Before Atkins never worked for me unless I stayed on it in the strictest sense...no cheese, no eggs, no dairy at all, and limiting my veggies in addition to no other carbs whatsoever. It was undoable.

Now, maybe I can do Atkins with low carb dairy and low carb veggies. That would be workable. I'm loving my potatoes now, a starch I can tolerate well. They will have to go...

DS eating to lose to optimal weight needs to be low carb because we malabsorb fat and need our protein to function well.

It's back to the diet struggle unless I can decide I'm happy at the weight I'm at now.

0 comments: