Nov 7, 2009

Dina Teaches Me New Stuff About My Supplements

There's always something new to know.  I had no idea that DSers need to to have a higher B12 than normal.  Apparently because we malabsorb, optimal B12 levels are a good baseline to maintain.  I have a tendency toward anemia, even before the DS, so it won't hurt.

The danger in low calcium and the D that helps the calcium work is that your body will leach the calcium from your bones to function.  This will eventually cause bone loss--brittle bones, broken bones.  Hurt bones are a world of pain and disability.  I've never experienced it, but I've seen it. I want to keep my bones intact into my old age!

A couple of markers that your body is leaching calcium from your bones are the PTH and alkaline phosphate levels.  If these numbers are even borderline high and coupled with a borderline low Ca--that's what's starting to happen.  The solution, be religious with calcium/D supplements and get those levels in line.  I need to work on this one.

0 comments: